Academic Juried Review
New submissions are recorded then screened to make sure that it meets basic submission criteria. It is important to note that submissions that contain author self-identification will be returned without review.
After the preliminary screening, submissions that meet submission criteria are assigned to at least two reviewers according to procedures set by the Conference Planning Committee. A third reviewer will be assigned if needed. Submissions are assigned to reviewers on the basis of their self-reported areas of expertise and the number of submissions already assigned to them. All submissions are reviewed anonymously.
Reviewers are selected by the Conference Planning Committee. Their names appear in conference site program and, although the author can assume that the reviewers of his or her work are among those people listed in the program, specific reviewers remain anonymous. Reviewers are appointed by the Conference Chair on the basis of recommendations from the chair of the Program Committee. Appointees must be NASW members in good standing.
In general, the Juried Review Coordinator and at least two reviewers read every submission and reviewers rate each one based on the following factors:
- Contribution to social work knowledge
- Clarity of presentation
- Utility and relevance to social work practice
- Appropriateness for the conference
- Research and evidence base well-documented
Reviewers recommend whether to accept or reject a submission. In addition, they write comments that help authors improve their submission. These comments are forwarded to the author with the decision letter, except in cases in which the submission is accepted outright. All information related to the review of submissions is confidential, with the exception of comments to the author.
Due to space limitations, not all deserving proposals can be accommodated. The Conference Program Committee makes the final decision on whether to accept a presentation on the basis of the reviewers’ ratings, the balance of the subject matter, articles on similar topics already accepted or invited to present, and other similar considerations. Decisions on submissions are released only to the authors and reviewers.
Authors will be notified of a decision on or around May 12, 2017. Authors should be aware that reviewers volunteer their time. An author may inquire about the status of his or her submission at any time during the review and decision process. However, the decision on a submission will only be released in writing. The decision will be one of the following.
- Accept for Presentation. If a submission is accepted for presentation, the author will receive a letter of acceptance with an agreement form. The form should be returned with the necessary signatures and information as quickly as possible.
- Redirected to Standard Review Process. If the criteria for the Juried Review process is not met, the Conference Program Committee may redirect a proposal for review under the Standard Review process.
- Reject. The Conference Planning Committee has the prerogative to reject any submission submitted for presentation. The Committee will forward copies of reviewer comments to the author with the decision letter.